This is what you level for, to be better at RvR. Ok, that’s a generalization but largely it’s true. So how does a Matter Cabalist fare in RvR? Damn good if you ask me. There's allot to learn when it comes to RvR and I'm sure I've only just scratched the surface but I'm looking forward to finding out more.
I guess part of the fun in RvR will be getting out there and trying out different tactics. Any tips to speed me on my way ?
Sure, here's a few bits and pieces I've picked up so far :
• Attack the doors – You can cast your AOE DOTs on keep and milegate doors. Any enemy standing behind them will be within the radius and start taking damage, much to their surprise. This doesn't work on keeps owned by your realm. Also be careful of NPC Guards on the other side of doors, chances are they will come straight for you so make sure you aren't alone.
• Clouded Sight – Use this as much as you can. The affect of this spell can’t be overstated, you have the ability to single handedly stop the enemies ranged offense. You won’t earn any Realm Points but you will be helping your realm mates out immensely, far more important.
• Keep Assault – You can be very useful when attacking a Keep. Casting Clouded Sight on the Keep Archers and any enemy defenders will take the heat off of the rest of the attacking force. Casting an AOE DOT on Keep Archers is a great way to clear the battlements of enemy defenders as well. Whilst they can make sure they aren’t in your line of sight there’s nothing they can do about the positioning and vulnerability of Keep Archers.
• Perforate Spirit – Use your AOE DOT wisely. It’s a great Realm Point earner but you won’t be very popular with other people if you keep breaking their mezzes.
• Rotate the camera – Don’t forget to stay aware of what’s going on around you by rotating the camera. It’s amazing the amount of people who don’t look behind them, and enemy players who know this will try to make the most of it.
• Hunters – As a caster class you’ll be a favourite target of enemy Archer classes (Hunters / Rangers) however, as a Matter Cabalist, you’re not totally powerless. You’ll need to set up a shortcut bar with the first 3 icons being /face, Quickcast then Clouded Sight (highest level you have) – also make sure you move about in RvR with no target selected. When an enemy Archer hits you you’ll automatically target the attacker, at which point press /face, Quickcast, Clouded Sight. If all has gone well the enemy will no longer be able to attack you as his range will be substantially reduced. He’ll also have your big Sim to deal with leaving you free to escape to safety or hunt him down depending on how brave you feel.
• Assasins –Assassin classes (Shadowblade / Nightshade) need to get up close and personal to use their much feared opening moves on you. These moves can often leave you with little or no health left and heavily poisoned however all is not lost. Stay alert and if an assassin strikes try one of 2 things :
• Send in the pet #1 – If you’re being chased by a group with a speed class (Skald, Bard etc) rotate your camera to look behind you and target the speed class. As soon as he gets in range send your Sim to attack. When the pet hits the speed class the group will drop to normal running speed (even sometimes stopping to kill the pet) giving you valuable time to escape.
• Send in the pet #2 – Should you spot a stealth class fleeing try and get your Sim on them asap. Even when stealthed your Sim will not lose track of the stealther allowing you, or others, to track him down. Should the stealthier be fleeing due to injury there’s a good chance your Sim will take them out all on his own anway.
• Last Resort – To be honest if you’re getting hit by a melee class you’re dead however don’t forget your Quickcast ability. Quickcasting a lifetap just as you’re about to die will replenish a sizeable chunk of your helath prolonging the fight just that little bit longer . . . maybe long enough for help to arrive. Ok so it’s unlikely to save your life but if those extra few seconds means a melee class from your realm can get closer it’s worth the effort.
Got anything a bit more on the devious side ? I promise I won't tell anyone :P
Ok, you asked for it. I don't condone the use of devious tactics but you can't help but laugh at some of them :
• Hide the Sim – The large Sim standing behind you is a dead giveaway to the fact that you are a Cabalist. Being a very rare class allot of the enemy players may well not know much about your abilities however you can bet that the best RvR enemy players will be fully clued up, making you a prime target. To help matters don’t stand next to your Sim, leave him on stay elsewhere. Ever been in RvR with a particularly irritating know-it-all caster whom noone likes? Well there’s no need for him to feel lonely ever again, simply stand your Sim next to him and he’ll have all the company he needs . . . of course people will think he’s the pet owner and target him first but that’s a small price to pay for the friendship of my Sim :P
• Lower level players – It’s no surprise that the easier kills are often the first to be targeted on the battlefield meaning you can increase your survivability somewhat by moving with some lower level casters. Very devious and immoral I’m sure but it’s not as if your actions will get them killed quicker, just that you might live a little longer.
Send mail to
with questions or comments about this web site.