Sorcerer role in RVR
Sorcerer RvR Tips
I will give some ideas on my game play and what is important for the job of the Sorc in RvR.
As with any caster, a Sorcerer has a difficult time with surviving a tank and usually will be targeted first in a battle because of the way we pop up in another players window after mezzing.
Some pointers are :
1) When your group is engaging enemies, always try and stop way behind the group. Remember a Sorc has excellent range now for CC and Mids and Hibs do not. if need be, let them get their first instant mezz off....you can then mezz them and unmezz your group which makes for a definite win.
2) Make sure your self mezz reduction buff is up...Your time with the Bard and Healers instant mezz is virtually only 1-5 seconds if anything...You will without a doubt come out of mezz before anyone in your group does to do your CC job.
3) While enemies are mezzed, a Sorcerer can debuff them and not break your own mezz. EXCELLENT TOOL !
The following spells DO NOT
The following spells DO break
4) If a tank resists your mezz and is charging you, cast Root! If numerous tanks are charging you, cast AoE root.
5) Always keep on the move and do not stand still in a battle... Stealthers love that and consider a standing caster instant RPs.
6) Always keep an eye on your clerics, if someone is on them....ROOT them or mezz them.
7) Doing damage is nice, but a Sorcerer's job is Crowd Control. Your group will gain you your realm points and keeping yourself alive and your group is your number one priority.
If the enemies are at bay and you feel the coast is clear, dot and nuke away. Try and DOT healers whenever possible.
8) Pets - For the most part any con pet in RvR is extremely helpful. Grey pets are incredible because no one realizes its yours. Sick that pet on a Healer, Bard, caster and it will make their lives a living hell. They will not be able to heal or cast.
Yellow con pets, of course, are always the best
9) Pets with ranged attacks. Best for defending you against Hunters and Rangers. A pet with a ranged attack will attack that archer and most likely get me killed.
In Keeps, Mile forts...keep your pet on aggressive. They will auto attack any stealthers than come out of hiding.
10) Sorcerer stats - A Sorcerer's spells are not know for it's casting speed. So make sure your dexterity is high, the faster you can cast your CC spells and the faster you can Lifetap, the better you are.
Hit points are next for importance....If you can get between 1300-1400 hp with buffs that should keep you alive for at least a while.
11) Clerics - having good clerics is always the key to a Sorcerer's survival. Also, if the cleric can buff you with everything they have it really helps the group out. Most cleric's I run with will buff me before they buff tanks.
12) Amnesia - A very underrated AOE spell. Has a 2300 range and interrupts people....if you can get this off at the beginning of a fight and follow it with a mezz, enemies will not be able to do anything. Bards use this a lot because there spell is an instant.
13) Charges, potions - Makes sure you have on you at all times healing, power and endurance potions. You'd be surprised at how often you will use them.
Charges on staffs - Most Sorc staffs have cold or heat damage. Now, a sorcerer can debuff cold and heat. If I am going to use a charge that is of that damage, I will debuff the player first and then use my charge. I can usually hit players anywhere from 500-1000 points of damage with this tactic.
14) Realm abilities - We have a lot of good RAs offered to us. I would concentrate on the following RAs first :
MCL - With Power regen and Serenity you power will replenish extremelly fast.
Serenity - mentioned above
Mastery of Concentration - For a Sorcerer, this is a lifesaver. If a tank or stealther is on you. do /face...click MOC and lifetap away while debuffing your instants at the same time to slow their dexterity and lower their HP and STR.
Avoidance of Magic - Always important to boost up your resists to magic.
Mastery of the Art - Extremelly important to get this, as it will increase your casting speed.
Augmented Dexterity - Very important as well, mentioned above.
Wild Arcana - Since we are a debuffing and dot class, this is a wise choice for a RA to help you crit with your debuffs and dots.....This also effects Corporeal Disintegration.
Corporeal Disintegration - I wouldn't really get this right away. It is a fun spell and gains you RPs...but it really defeats our purpose as CC because it is an AoE dot. But I enjoy it and use it in certain situations...especially zerg fights.
Purge - I do not have purge and don't really need it. Depends on the situation, sometimes I think "wow if I only had purge". But overall mezz is the prime CC and we have our reduction and 9 out of 10 times another enemy breaks your mezz/root on you anyway.
For a Sorc, DD RAs are least important - Wild Arcana and Mastery of Magery.
I hope this info helps some people out there in playing their Sorcerer's
Send mail to
with questions or comments about this web site.